L’ACFO Mille-Îles is a non-profit organization created in 1976 to promote and support the development (including personal) of approximately 12 000 Franco-Ontarians residing in the Thousand Islands region, which extends from Trenton to the West and Brockville to the East.
L’ACFO Mille-Îles is one of 20 regional councils grouped under AFO, Assemblée de la francophonie de l’Ontario, a provincial umbrella organization that represents the interest of the Ontario’s francophone population.
Our association is involved on an ongoing basis in all community development aspects. Hence, the organization make its presence known to the federal, provincial and municipal government authorities in order to foster the development of the francophone community and assure its continued vitality. It also collaborates with every organization working towards the promotion of the Franco-Ontarian community’s interests.
The success of the Association rests on the commitment of the volunteers and staff who commonly share the desire to see the French community thrive. Give us a call if you are interested in joining ACFO Mille-Îles.
- To raise political awareness of the needs of Francophones in the region
- To reunite the diverse groups of interests in the French community
- To intervene at all government levels in order to defend and promote the French-speaking community.
- To offer employment services that the French community and the community as a whole can benefit from.
- To support French Canadian Heritage and French language culture events
- The promotion and the enhancement of the Franco-Ontarian community to advocate the value it contributes to the Ontarian society
- A political representation by expressing the needs and the rights of the community in receiving services in their mother tongue
- Ensure our presence in the local and regional areas
- Share the point of view of the francophone community on issues that concern them.
- Welcome kit for the French-speaking newcomers in Kingston called “Bienvenue à Kingston”
- Update and edit the French Services Directory “Répertoire des services en français dans la région des Mille-Îles”, published every two years
- Provide Job assistance services via our French Employment Resource Centre to the public
- Offer support to the public in the wording of complaints regarding unsatisfactory or lack of services in French
- Organize an annual French Language Services Fair, La Franco-foire
- Give several awards to students to foster pride of speaking French
- Offer assistance to the public in their quest to find the services and resources in French in the region
- Provide educational material on local Francophone History
- Support French language heritage and cultural initiatives or events
- Promote French language cultural events that take place into our community across the 1000 Islands Region